INTERVIEWER: Can you recall an exact moment when you decided to become a lawyer?
JASON: No, I always wanted to be a criminal defense trial lawyer. I’m drawn to it like Sherlock Holmes to a haunted house. Trying a DUI case in front of the jury is my favorite thing to do. I have to be in the courtroom to be happy whether I get paid for it or not. And, I want to do it better than anybody has ever done it, which makes it an obsession. But, never feel as good as while trying a DUI case to the jury. But it has never gotten any easier to do and you can’t expect it to if you keep trying for something better than you can do.
Meet Jason Cerbone, the man who won three DUI license suspension hearings in one day on April 5, 2012…
Standing before the testifying police officer, Jason looked the part: a winning attorney. More importantly, he acted like one. After all, this was cross-examination - Jason’s specialty.
Since Jason knew the arrest procedure hadn’t been followed in the DUI arrest, he wanted to get the officer to admit it. But that’s never easy. So patiently, persistently, Jason played a game of cat-and-mouse. Question after question, he calmly brought the policeman toward the goal. Within minutes, the officer admitted his violation without even realizing it! That’s the power of cross-examination. It’s the difference between winning and losing a DUI case, between acquittal and conviction. The policeman didn’t know he destroyed the prosecution’s case. But the judge did. And when Jason asked the judge to dismiss the DUI charges against Marty, he did.
Yet another case. Yet another win.
Some attorneys ease into practice; Jason jumped in headlong. Within his first seven months, he had handled nearly 70 criminal law cases, all of them felonies. He also achieved a major win in a high-profile rape trial. As an integral part of the criminal defense team, Jason learned the power of an aggressive defense when he and his partners succeeded in pulling off a hung jury, even though the odds were stacked against them.
Jason has never stopped learning. Early on, he studied under Terry Jackson and Michael Schiavone. Later, he worked for the Eastern Judicial Circuit Public Defender Office. There, Jason learned from Michael Edwards, whom he describes as among the most talented criminal lawyers he has ever seen. He also worked at Brooks Law Firm and Calhoun, Cerbone & Sapp. Dedicating himself, Jason worked to master advanced techniques in cross-examination.
Jason has gained countless wins in his time as a top-ranked DUI lawyer. He knows firsthand that the expert criminal attorney – the one willing to “lay it all on the line” – can expect to beat even the most intimidating criminal charges. Take Steven, who both stayed out of jail and kept his driving privileges after Jason achieved dismissals in 7 out of 10 misdemeanor charges! This is the kind of thing that Jason Cerbone has accomplished time and time again in his career. It’s also the kind of thing Jason can and will do for you.
All in all, Jason’s commitment to a client’s defense is wholly unparalleled. You will not find that kind of commitment anywhere else. Diligently, Jason Cerbone is ever working to master the most cutting edge trial techniques, especially those that achieve success in Georgia DUI cases. But most of all, Jason is simply determined beyond all measure. He will move heaven and earth to win for his clients. That’s what they deserve, so that’s what he gives.
Jason Cerbone is a DUI Defense Lawyer in Savannah, Georgia at Cerbone DUI Defense. He is NHTSA certified in DUI Detection and Field Sobriety Testing. If you have been arrested for DUI in Savannah, Georgia call him up.
Even as a child, Jason dreamed of becoming the first-class trial lawyer he is today. The challenge was in realizing that dream. So Jason started early. With a lawyer father, a court-reporter mother, and a District Attorney uncle, Jason has always had Law in his blood. But natural ability was never enough for Jason Cerbone. He sought excellence. Even as a kid, Jason would accompany his father to criminal court. Listening carefully, he learned all he could about the art of courtroom success. In this time, Jason learned a valuable lesson – clients have to feel as if they are part of their own success. A client’s happiness is of utmost importance, especially in DUI cases. That’s why Jason treats his clients as friends, not just business contacts. “Because when you’re working for a friend,” Jason says, “it’s even more exhilarating to beat those DUI charges.”
License status: Active Member in Good Standing
Year acquired: 2008
Misconduct: No instances of professional misconduct
Criminal Defense Trial Lawyer at Cerbone Law, 2007–2009
Law Clerk/Runner at Calhoun, Cerbone, & Sapp, 2005–2009
Criminal Trial Law Assistant at Cerbone & Sapp, 2007–2008
Law Assistant Practicing by Recent Law Graduate Act at Eastern Judicial Circuit Public Defender, 2006-2007
Law Clerk at Brooks Law Firm, 2005
Criminal Justice Internship at Jackson & Schiavone, 2003
Law Clerk Runner at Calhoun, Cerbone, & Sapp, 1995–1999
Juris Doctor, 2006 Mississippi College School of Law
B.A., 2003, Criminal Justice, University of Georgia
B.A., 2003, Political Science, University of Georgia
High School Diploma, 1997, Benedictine Military School
- Certificate for Jason Cerbone Successfully Completing DUI Detection & Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Instructor, a 32-hour course recognized by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the International Association of Chiefs of Police, Atlanta, GA, March 3, 2013
- Successfully completed Advanced DUI Trial Skills Intensive Summer Session curriculum in DUI Defense Law conducted at the Harvard Law School by The National College for DUI Defense, Cambridge, MA, July, 2012
- Certificate Mastering Scientific Evidence in DUI Cases for Jason Cerbone, Savannah DUI Defense Lawyer, National College for DUI Defense and the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 21-24, 2012
- Defense of Drinking Drivers Institute, Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia, Atlanta, Georgia December 1-2, 2011
- DUI Boot Camp, The Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and Allen Trapp, Atlanta, Georgia, October 13-14, 2011
- Winning at Every Level, National 15th Annual DUI Means Defend With Ingenuity Seminar,The National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers & National College for DUI Defense, Las Vegas, Nevada, Caesars Palace Hotel, September 15-17, 2011
- Advanced DUI Trial Skills Summer Session at Harvard Law School by National College for DUI Defense, Cambridge, MA, July, 2011
- Georgia DUI Update, Atlanta, Georgia May 13, 2011
- Certificate Mastering Scientific Evidence In DUI Cases for Jason Cerbone sponsored by the National College for DUI Defense and the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, New Orleans, Louisiana, April 14-16, 2011
- Breath Alcohol Testing Training for Legal Professionals, Introductory Course, Atlanta, Georgia, March 2011
- Breath Alcohol Testing Training for Legal Professionals, Intermediate Course, Atlanta, Georgia, March 2011
- Certificate for Successfully Completing DUI Detection and Field Sobriety Testing for Jason Cerbone Savannah DUI Lawyer, Atlanta, Georgia, February 2011
- Certificate of Completion for Conquering Chemical Testing for Jason Cerbone, Savannah, Georgia DUI Attorney, Atlanta, Georgia, November 2010
- Certificate of Completion of Overview of Drug Recognition Expert Program for Jason Cerbone, Savannah Georgia DUI Lawyer, Atlanta, Georgia, November 2010
- Certificate of Completion of Concepts of Standardized Field Sobriety Testing for Jason Cerbone, Savannah, Georgia DUI Lawyer, Atlanta, Georgia, November 2010
- DUI Communicating Your Way to an Acquittal, National College of DUI Defense, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Caesars Palace Las Vegas, Nevada, October 2010
- Using the Administrative License Suspension Hearing to Win at Trial, Atlanta, Georgia, 2009
- National College for DUI Defense, Inc.
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Savannah Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Criminal Justice Section of American Bar Association
- Criminal Law Section of State Bar of Georgia
- DUI Defense
Places Admitted to Practice
- Superior Court Eastern Judicial Circuit, 2008
- Supreme Court of Georgia, 2009
- Court of Appeals of Georgia, 2008